- This event has passed.
History of Racism #1: The Origins of Race and Racism (1619-1800s)
June 23, 2021 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm MDT
Offered by Just Health Collective, LLC. See below for registration instructions.
This two-hour interactive course will be taught by Ayo Magwood, founder of Uprooting Inequities. All lessons consist of a 90-minute presentation followed by a 30-minute discussion. The five lessons in the History of Racism series build on each other and are ideally taken in succession.
This first seminar in the history of racism series answers the questions “How and why were Black and White races developed?” and “How and why was anti-Black Racism developed?” We trace the historical evolution of the social construction of race from the early colonial period, when the colonies were still a class-based society like in England, through the middle colonial period when the Black-White racial binary and a race-based caste system was constructed through laws. Through primary source evidence, we learn that racism did not lead to slavery, but rather, slavery lead to racism; economic interests led to racial narratives and a racial caste system. We also demonstrate that racism–the myth of Black racial inferiority–was the narrative that white elites/slave owners created (“the story we tell”) to both rationalize slavery (economic interests) and divide poor Whites and Blacks (political interests).
- Explore the history, economics, sociology, and cognitive psychology of systemic racism in the United States
- Understand how and why racism was constructed and reproduced over our history and how systemic racism operates and is reproduced today
- Knowledge of our history will enable us to identify and implement policies and practices that can begin to dismantle racism
When: Wednesday June 23, 2021 at 9:00am PST / 10:00am MST / 11:00am CST / 12:00pm EST
How to Register: Find and join the seminar day/time most convenient for you following these five easy steps:
- First, we invite you to a complimentary membership to the JHC Village.
- Once in the Village, click on COURSES found on the navigation bar on the left
- Click into HISTORY OF RACISM 1
- Click into EVENTS found on the navigation bar on the left
- Choose your day/time to RSVP and sync the event to your calendar
Email email@example.com with any questions.